Friday, November 18, 2011

It was first rain since I was born or for that matter, conceived. Rains are not very common in desert but this one took too long in coming. It is never an easy period to survive. But when rains arrived, they came with all their glory. Deafening thunder, glaring lightening and then came the first drop of water from sky after an interval of four years. Following down-pour was so heavy that, in half an hour, all my village rivulets were billowing and roads, as if they were waiting for it, were blocked.
Rains had rejuvenating effect on everything, inert or live. Trees, which were on verge of falling, found a new foothold in drenched soil. Birds bewildered with thirst, got respite. Cattle, living on mercy of persons who donated for their fodder, mooed in hope of verdant fields. Farmers were relieved for they can grow something in their fields now, although the soil had been charred by heat in last four years. Wells were replenished with water and level increased, houses were naturally washed and dust settled to ground.
Nothing caught my eyes but this. Children, half naked and bedraggled, were out on the roads, blocking water wherever they could, so that they could wallow in stagnated water. They jumped into the water so that it splashes onto others. No one can enjoy rains as children do. I know this as I was one of them, a four year old girl.
“Roads leaving village are blocked.”
It was my grandfather. “Nobody can leave or come into village till the rains subdued and waters goes under bridges. “ He announced it to my mother.
My grandfather was sixty or may be sixty five year old, his body belied his age. He was tall, sturdy and a brave man. He spent his life taking his livestock for gazing and usually lived months in jungle. Everyone in our clan and village respected him for his integrity. He was a medicine man, at least he was able to suggest for pain reliever if not heal the malaise completely.
Few moments from that conversion, a young boy came where I was playing and asked if my grandfather was in there? I just nodded and pointed inside.
They had some conversation and both left in hurry.
They had gone to see a boy. He was son of farmer, who broke his right arm while learning cycling. His parents had taken him to local doctor in nearby village and had him plastered. But the plaster was too taut, it pressed blood vessels firmly and had blood flow to the palm blocked, compounding the agony of the boy. They could not take him to the doctor till rains subdued. So the question was what to do in this situation? Everyone was worried but no one knew anything. So they sent for my grandfather.
After closely examining the situation, my grandfather told them to remove the plaster.
“But what if he loses his hand and becomes crippled for life? Who will marry his daughter to my son in that case?” asked boy’s mother.
“In that case I will marry my granddaughter to him, whatever condition he may be in” retorted my grandfather. He was so like him, he made promises at his whims and other’s expenses.
That was the day. It decided my life, if it qualifies to be one.

No comments: