Saturday, May 18, 2013

Experience worth having!

Today, i am writing about my teaching experience at a district government school. I have taken class before, and this won't be the last, still i feel there was something worth mentioning about this class.
In classes i have taken earlier, students were mature and perfectly understood the key take ways of the class, but this was different. It was a class of forty students, all boys, between ten to twelve years of age.

It all started with my anticipation. I knew my class was over and above their class schedule, so i expected some restless in class. Boys will be more interested in going out and play, rather than attending my boring planet science class. Portrayal of a government schools in movies made my apprehensions worse. I could visualize boys jumping on their desks, throwing chalks, arguing among themselves and in all this process, never missing a chance to vanish from the class.

I landed in the class on the stipulated time and was pleasantly surprised. All boys stood up at their seats and  wished me good afternoon. It was a good omen, i thought. I put my laptop on the table and introduced myself and subject and how we are going to take it forward. Again i was taken by surprise when one student stood up and asked what's the use of studying planet science? I smiled to buy time and gathered all my experience as space scientist to answer the question.
And then went the class. I taught them basics of planetary movements, relative positioning, who discovered what and told them interesting stories behind those discoveries. Those 45 minutes changed my perception.

"Kind of questions you ask, reveal your understanding" goes the proverb  Looking at kind of questions i was asked during the class, i can happily say that my anticipation was wrong, apprehensions misplaced.

There i returned back, hopeful of India's future. If this is the generation, which will hold reins of this country tomorrow, then i am sure, they will not disappoint us. They are not studying in schools with world class facilities, where teacher to students ratio is best or where computers and laptops are regular features. This was a typical government school, like millions others in this country, but the kind of students, nonetheless were not an inch behind any other student studying in any international school. They were enthusiastic, they were captive and most importantly, they were willing to learn.

So, let's make information and knowledge accessible to these students, let's share whatever little we have learned with these millions of waiting receptors. Swami Vivekanand said and i quote "Education is manifestation of  one's inner abilities". So it does not matter, which school student is in, what matters is his/her potential, his/her inner abilities and access to information as information is currency of this age.



  


3 comments:

Pankaj Gupta said...

Good thoughts jittu. Students always receive teachers well at first (except if some students have lost faith) and I think thigs go good or worse depending on the teacher. You did well I guess.

Unknown said...

Thanks Gupta!

dishantparikh said...

really appreciate your efforts.. This example shows us that education is not depends on what facility we get or available to us, it is highly dependent on inner consciousness and ability to move forward and learn more and more. The only problem in with us or many is realization of that happens very late..!! We always hopeful for mindset change with great education..!!